Friday, January 21, 2011

Monetary Heritage

For Christmas this year I received a £10 note from my Scottish grandparents. However it was a Scottish note and so on it there was an image of Glamis castle and that got me thinking about how money is such a big part of our lives and yet we never think about what is actually on them or where the whole idea of bank notes came from.
 

Nowadays we don't even bother looking at our money and I wonder how many of you realise that there has been a whole collection of coins produced to celebrate the 2012 olympics, not many I am guessing. Although I will admit that I didn't know about them until my brother asked if I had any as someone where he works is collecting them and wants the whole set, as he called it. So I looked and discovered that I did indeed have one, which I exchanged for just a regular one so that this person could have it. But you have to wonder if someday those pound coins would be worth more than their actual value as most things that commerate something become more expensive as time passes.

(for further information on the history of banknotes click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment