Sunday, January 23, 2011

Heritage is . . . . .

Ok so, the question is what is Heritage. This arose from a discussion with my brother. I had told him about my train journey up to my dad's and how I had passed the emirates stadium. In the same conversation we were talking about where I could do my work placement and he suggested that I do it and St James' Park, Newcastle United football ground. I responded that I didn't think that was heritage. My brother responded that it was heritage, at least to a Geordie and that then got me thinking about what heritage actually is. For me personally it is something in the past, preferably pre 1850, unless it has a direct link to my own personal history. This is the reason why I still think of Chichester as a complete historic city as I grew up there and every time I go back I always look out for the changes made. The other bonus Chichester has is that it is a Roman town, with some of the Roman walls still standing, as well as the cathedral and other places such as the market cross. I don't care if the places in Chichester were built after 1850 as the whole city is a part of my herritage. That might seem a bit wierd, but hey, I never said I was normal



Visit Chichester

No comments:

Post a Comment